Existing Member?

Travelling to Asia

The first time I travelled overseas

SRI LANKA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [176] | Scholarship Entry

In 2013 i was amongst Four (4) young people across the Commonwealth 53 member states nominated for the position of Chairperson for the newly formed Commonwealth Youth Council where I had the opportunity to come up with a manifesto and campaign for elections which were held Hambantota, Sri Lanka during the Commonwealth Youth Forum (CYF). I remember getting on the plane for the first time and feeling my stomach drop as the plane took off the ground and lifted up into the air, I was so nervous the entire time I could not even drink the refreshments offered, all I could do was pray "Lord please let this plane land safely". My connection was at Dubai and I was in awe of the HUGE airport and seeing the airport scene as different races of people hurriedly went from one point to another to their terminals and gates to catch their next flight out to their final destinations. It is here that I spent nine (9) hours overnight and even had a shower as my next flight to Colombo was at 9am the next morning. Arriving in Colombo the next day, the weather was so humid and the accent was the first thing I picked up that became my usual cup of tea every day for the next week. The rice farms, the too-too's (excuse the spelling) and motorbikes in the bustling traffic was a foreign scene for me as well as the bad driving on the roads, I remember stretches and stretches of water and thinking "wow, my country is so dry and in need of water, these guys should donate a couple of litres to Botswana!!" But the people of Sri Lanka were the highlight of my stay, so warm, kind and friendly, it was hard to believe these people were just recovering from a civil war in just over a year, it is amazing how the human will and spirit can mask the past lie the fresh beginning and new day is all it knows. During the CYF in Hambatota, Sri Lanka, I had the opportunity to interact with exceptional young leaders doing incredible things in their countries and driving initiatives to empower young people. Also had the opportunity to debate policies and motions on Education, Gender Equality, Employment, Professionalization of Youth Work etc that were given to the newly elected Executive of the Commonwealth Youth Council to present to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting which was also taking place in Sri Lanka. Indeed this trip showed me that we create our own world and nothing is impossible if only the heart and mind is willing.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About african-traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.