Existing Member?

Itchy Feet "I am going because I would have no peace if I stayed" - Donald Crowhurst.

KILOMETRE ZERO

INDONESIA | Saturday, 23 August 2014 | Views [513]

Kilometre Zero is basically where Indonesia begins.  Km 0 is marked by a monument.  It is the most westerly and the most northerly point of Indonesia.  In many countries, Kilometre Zero or the Zero mile marker, control station or control point is a particular location (often in the nation's capital city), from which distances are traditionally measured. The most famous marker is the "Golden Milestone" of the Roman Empire, believed to be the literal origin for the proverb that "All roads lead to Rome”.

 

Rahmi invited us to Kilometre Zero for sunset.  All 7 of us piled into their car for the beautiful and steep drive there, up and down, up and down, surrounded by beautiful trees and glimpses of coast.  We took photos at the monument and we all sat in a small rumah makan there, eating snacks & watching the rain fall on the sea and the clouds roll in.

 Berni at Kilometre Zero rumah makan.

Rahmi told us the Km 0 monument used to be 7 kilometres away until it was discovered to be geographically incorrect.  “Indonesia is wild,” she said and we all laughed.  From the rumah makan we could hear the waves crashing far, far below us.  It had a fabulous view of the sea & of an island called Rondo Island, further west, which should actually have the kilometer zero status.  We all laughed.  Indonesia is wild.

Kilometre Zero.  Sabang.  (Pulau Weh).  Weh Island.

Kilometre Zero. Sabang. (Pulau Weh). Weh Island.

Tags: indonesia, kilometer nol, kilometre zero, km 0, pulau weh, sabang island

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.