Existing Member?

Travelling for the active, outdoor travel lovers!

What do trains, planes & bicycles have in common?

GERMANY | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [240] | Scholarship Entry

Its 5 am in the morning, and I am flying out of Frankfurt later that evening. So why am I awake? Because I want to squeeze the last bit of travelling out of my trip to Southern Germany. I say goodbye to my lovely friends in Heidelberg (two hours south of Frankfurt) and travel FURTHER south to the Black Forest - my quick stop for the day. All because I had a day pass on the trains which I planned to use!

I arrive at this little German town with all my luggage in tow and set out to find a map and bicycle. As there was no time (or money) for a tour, I hoisted my belongings on my back and with the hired, wonky bicycle, I pedaled into the looming Black Forest. I spent a magical day cycling up and down beautiful paths, stopping to take pictures and absorbing the beauty around me. Thereafter, I frantically cycle back to the station, climbing onto the last train to Frankfurt; hot, sticky and with a great big grin on my face. I am content as I climb onto the plane that night for my long flight back home. I don't care that I get a few glances from fellow passengers who look at me wondering how I will look at the end if I already look so disheveled. I cycled in the Black Forest today. Did you?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About active_xplorer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.