Existing Member?

The Country Mouse

6th September. Day 5

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [289]

My time in the Highlands had come to an end. I loved my time here where wearing a jumper was necessary, the misty morning tea and the small town feeling where you pretty much recognised everyone. I'd highly recommend everyone to come to this beautiful place. However all good things must come to an end..and all that. A 9am bus picked me up and set off for Georgetown in Penang. Unfortunately I was sat next to a girl with server motion sickness, not the most enjoyable bus journey I've had. 

We were dropped off outside a shopping mall with no maps or tourist office and so confusion and panic set in for some of my co-travellers. They frantically pulled out their lonely planet guides or google maps. I looked at them a bit bewildered at walked 2 meters to the nearest shop to ask for directions, the very helpful woman gave me clear instructions to get to my hostel on Love Lane (apparently it's where rich businesses men used to keep their mistresses). I know technology is a wonderful tool but sometimes communication and a friendly smile gets you farther. 

The hostel is a cool space, dorms of 12 beds like cubbyholes with a curtain for privacy. I booked myself in and headed next door for a very late lunch at Wheelers Coffee followed by a short walk around the block. On my stroll I saw a nice little book shop and popped in as I'd forgotten to bring a book with me on my travels, I got two and settled down to read one for a hour or two until it got dark. 

Dinnertime, and I was told my the extremely happy guy at my hostel (Charlie) that the food court around the corner was a great place, he wasn't wrong! There were so many stalls with different cuisines, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean and of course Vietnamese. I ordered a pad Thai and people watched. 

Tags: bus journeys, food court, penang

About abbehorrod


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.