Existing Member?

travel: an outpour of experience and knowledge

The Journey Home

PAKISTAN | Saturday, 5 September 2015 | Views [467] | Scholarship Entry

I have always been enamoured with films and movies. Films have allowed me to develop curiosities about subjects - subjects and philosophies that started to shape me as a person. As I grew older I realised that subtly, my forays of binge-watching films and videos has allowed me to develop empathy, and I realised what a powerful tool film is for spreading education and knowledge. During college, I found the courage and the inspiration to try new things, to have more varied experiences and to meet more people. I started volunteering at a children's cancer ward in a local hospital, joined the rugby team, went on trekking trips in the northern areas of Pakistan. The unexpected virtue of these experiences and watching films was the transfer of knowledge, insight and understanding. What I learned from one group could be applied to another.

Pakistan is going through tumultuous times - particulars like history, culture and heritage have been neglected. Pakistan has a lot to offer; the valleys in the north, the tribes in Balochistan, the nomads in the Thar desert. My desire as an aspiring documentary filmmaker is to try and preserve and document the culture that we have, to spread awareness about our customs. If I am selected for the scholarship, the mentorship of Brian Rapsey will allow me to learn how to represent these stories and locations in a manner, which is both honest and distinct. It will teach me to become a responsible filmmaker, who is able to do justice to these stories.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About aatirsohail


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.