Existing Member?

Travels around the world

Season 2008/2009 has now started!!!!

CANADA | Tuesday, 16 December 2008 | Views [635]

Hi everyone,

With the season commencing a week ago I thought it was time to give another update of my adventures over in Canada.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago my roommate decided that spending the season in Canada with his girlfriend back home wasn't for him. This left me in a predicament and I also decided to move out of the place I was staying in. I am now staing in a new house with 4 other housemates and absolutely loving it. We are located about 50m from the village gondola (first time my work has been only 5mins away) and what is known as Happy Valley which is the site of the skating rink, tubing park and one of a few drinking holes :)

After having to delay the opening date for 08/09 in Big White for 2weeks, we were finally able to open the mountain on Tuesday December 9/08. Over the weekend prior there was talk going around the village that if we didn't open in December (which was looking like a possibility) we wouldn't open at all, which would have put a very big hole in my travel plans. However as most people know, fortunes can change in an instant. We were lucky enough to receive enough snowfall over the weekend a week ago that we were able to open our beginner area, and I was lucky enough to have the first day of the season off and got to be able to experience skiing on the first day. Unfortunately new boots and one chairlift limited the day, but was awesome either way.

Sinc then, we have had over 60cm of snow fall and things are looking up. The infamous snow ghosts (the trees fully covered by snow) are starting to form and the view every morning in the kitchen looking out over the valley and skating rink is spectacular.

Unfortunately in the last few days a northly from the artic has decided to drop a bit lower and we have been experiencing temperatures sitting around -20. It is very cold!!! But after snowing for 3days straight, being able to now ski with picture blue skies, you try to ignore the cold. Today (Dec/15) was my second day out skiing and as mentioned the cold is something to certainly rug up for - but skiing new terrain with perfect surroundings is something you can't miss - so you put up with it (until you can't feel anything anymore).

On the social side, with the season now starting, the village atmosphere has certainly picked up. For the seasoners, it is becoming a very big family. With my job, housemates and the life up here you get to me sooo many different people from all walks of life - its is awesome!!!!

Well, I think that is enough from me. Hope everyone is doing really well and I wish everyone a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! Best of luck to you all and hope everyone's dreams come true - at the moment they are for me!!!!

Happy Christmas & wondering 2009!!!!

Speak to you all shortly!!!!

Cheers and regards

Amanda (aka AJ)

About a_jacob


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.