Existing Member?

Chasing the sun

Catching a Moment - Facing Tortin

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 20 March 2013 | Views [431] | Scholarship Entry

He said we were just going to look at the view but here I am teetering over the edge of Tortin, a steep 'wall' of moguls, deemed Europe's largest mogul field. I am in the stunning Swiss Alps and am lucky enough to be spending the whole season here, in the resort of Verbier. This run should then perhaps, be saved for later in the season when my legs are a little stronger and nerves a little steadier? Of all the 410km of piste I could ski I wonder why Tortin, why now…

Not even looking at the view I am considering my next move along a narrow ledge from which I will have to turn off onto the steep, bumpy, long traverse down this terrifying face. There is promise of an Amaretto hot chocolate at the bottom but at the moment I am weighing-up the options: is it possible to take my skies off and climb back up, can someone call mountain rescue? Experiencing pure terror, I simply cannot make that 'first turn' onto the slope down to surely a mogully induced early flight home, or worse.

But then, a deep breath and I just go, taking the plunge. There’s no stopping now, a pause and I will transported back to a frozen state of fear, my ‘bambi on ice moments’ as they have become not-so-fondly known by fellow seasonaires. I turn and bump over and between the snowy mini-peaks, legs burning and despite the temperature of minus 8C, breaking a sweat. But this is it! I am skiing down what has been described as one of the world's scariest ski runs.

Fifteen minutes later and I am sat in the Tipi in the neighbouring resort of Nendaz sipping my reward. It's a Monday before 12noon and I think of the large majority of my friends sat at work in London. The air is sparkling with diamond dust - water droplets crystallising in the freezing temperatures - and the sun is on my face. My legs feel heavy and tired and I am blissfully happy. Do something that scares you everyday. Seize the moment, it will be worth it.

I tried to capture the experience on my blackberry, but found I cannot film or take photos whilst clinging onto this snowy face – indeed if you You-Tube ‘Tortin’ there is a lack of decent footage. I think I know why… they say you take the least photos at the best parties.

I now do Tortin almost every day for ‘training,’ training for what I am not sure, but it’s always an achievement.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About _kateross_


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.