Existing Member?

Moments of peace

Dickwella

SRI LANKA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

The first thought after opening my eyes in the morning, which immediately made me wake up, was whether the curtain over my bad was closed or not. Frankly speaking, I consider it to be the only problem bothering me during my trip to Sri Lanka. Even thought, the possibility to see mosquitoes (curse them!) as well as snakes, scorpions, and other exotic animals, was much less living on the ocean coast than in the central part of the island, in the jungles, I was still extremely disturbed.
Besides an extensive range of tropical monsters and annoying monkeys, begging food all the time and trying to steal anything that they could, there were also the locals, whose the only aim was to sell you something “vital” or offer their services hoping to get the green banknotes. However, all that was nothing comparing with the greatest and strongest feeling I had ever had before; there, in Sri Lanka, I saw the ocean for the first time in my life.
I exactly remember that moment, as if it was just yesterday. The moment when my heart stopped, all my thoughts left my mind and my body was out of my control. I was listening to the sounds of the surf and looking at the endless foamy sheet in front of me, greedily catching each second of pleasure. The whole world, disguised by the powerful, dangerous, and, at the same time, such magnificent sight, paused, while the continuous struggle of tides was only increasing…
As I was completely absorbed by euphoria, the time seemed to pass me by. Though, the sun had long hidden behind the horizon, the sand was still warm. Sitting on the beach staring straight ahead, I was now dreaming about my new life. Never before had I been so relaxed and serene, and even noisy waves could not interrupt the flight of my thoughts. The welcome party had already begun; I heard bursts of loud laughter and daring notes of Indian music. One more moment and I would join them, and we would have fun, drink and dance till the morning… But that's not the point, wasn’t it?
Peace… I finally found it, here on the edge of the earth. Being in perfect harmony, I clearly understood the value of this moment, the value of life.
If you saw the ocean once, you wouldn’t be able to forget it; it’s what they call – true love. The Indian Ocean became a pill for my soul, and the little village almost in the southern part of Sri Lanka, Dickwella, took the piece of my heart.

Ever since, I have been constantly looking for a reason to go back there, to the place where it was so good.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About __olha


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.