Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

New Zealand - Lake Brunner Fishing again - 21 - 23rd July

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [758] | Comments [1]

We arrived at Lake Brunner in the afternoon and oresti got to work straight away fishing for food. I sat there reading my magazines that someone must have  left for me in Air Pacifics first class chairs and after a while, I decided to give fishing a go for a few minutes.  Neither of us caught a thing and so we went to our campsite for the night. We decided to cook the little fish that oresti caught the previous day with the rest of our meal, rather than waiting to cook it with a bigger fish friend. In the kitchen we were greeted by 2 guys and a lady with a baby. They were from the Phillipines, training as farmers here in NZ. We couldn't believe our eyes when we saw the fish  that they had caught earlier that day and were slightly embarassed by the little fish that took up no more that 10% of our plate!'That's it, we're going fishing again tomorrow!' Oresti declared.The next day Oresti went for a jog while i ran 10 laps and did some stretches. I was pretty proud of myself! It was then time to go fishing. We found a spot and oresti got into his 'fisherman mode'. After a while it was my turn. I knew that today was the day that I'd catch my first ever fish and as always, I wasn't wrong. I felt my line pull and knew that we were going to eat a big dinner!! 'Oresti I've got one!!' I called out. We were amazed and excited to see a 16inch brown trout attached to the hook. Ofcourse I didn't want to touch the fish so oresti took over. The other fisherman who were nearby (who didn't catch a fish all day) came over to see what we got. We were the proud owners of a big brown trout. It weighed 1kg. Not bad at all.  I posed for a photo but didn't want to touch it so held the hook. That night we went home and showed our fish to the Phillipinos. They looked to be impressed, and then got their 2.5kg fish ready to BBQ. "We got four big ones today but threw them back in because we didn't need them."    YOU WHAT?!?!Oresti did a great job of barbequing our fish to perfection and we enjoyed it at the table with our friends. It was agreed that we'd go fishing with them the next day for an hour before continuiing our journey North. The next day we went with our friends to one of their many fishing spots. Not one of us caught or even saw a fish so we went elsewhere. Again, no luck. Never mind, they were good company. Off we go to our next location, Hanmer Springs. 

Tags: fishing

 

Comments

1

Hey sounds like you're having so much fun. Love the 'Sophie, Oresti and the Little Fish' story. Xxxxxxx

  Louise Aug 1, 2012 4:15 PM

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.