Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

New Zealand - Isthmus Peak at Wanaka Lake - 17th July

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 17 July 2012 | Views [988]

Wanaka Lake
It was along drive from Milford Sounds but after 350km we arrived at Wanaka Lake.  A magnificent lake, again surrounded but monstrous mountains providing the perfect backdrop.  We visited the information centre, identified good fishing areas and various climbs and stayed at another cheap unmanned camping site in Albert Town.  It was perched in some woods and by a big river.  Kiwi's definitely know where to setup campsites! It was magical.  Some afternoon fishing and an early night. 
The morning boasted crystal clear skies and a cool low fog.  The sun beams occasionally breaking through this was a perfect start to the day and another photo opportunity.  Our initial intentions of a gentle stroll turned into my desire, and Sophs nightmare, of a good climb up a 1300m peak.  I just knew the views would be to die for so I duly persuaded her.  
We set off on a well marked track heading for a peak called 'Isthmus peak' looking over Hawea lake, little sister to Lake Wanaka.  After an initial grumble of discontent from Sophia we soon got into our stride winding our way through initially farmland and then more barren landscape as we gained altitude.  The views improved with every step and it wasn't  long before we felt we were on top of the world.  Nothing beats snow covered mountains with a lake at their base.  After 3 hours of plodding uphill we made it to the summit for some incredible photo moments and a breather.  It was a little windy but well worth it and I think even Soph enjoyed the climb up.  I even got her to repeat at the top of her voice 'I love uphills!' along the way - my version of psychotherapy I guess!  After 5 hours we made it back to the car and ate a monumentous amount of pasta which was well deserved after completing 16km. 
We found another campsite this time with showers and enjoyed the millions of stars lighting the night sky.  
Another great day - we love you NZ

Tags: trekking

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.